Sowing period: October to December
Harvesting period: January to April
Crop season: Rabi
Key growing regions:
- Madhya Pradesh – Neemuch, Mandsaur, Guna, Rajgarh, Shajapur
- Gujarat – Rajkot, Surendranagar, Gondal, Junagarh, Jamnagar
- Maharashtra – Mumbai, Nanded, Bhandara
- Rajasthan – Ramganj, Kota, Jhalawar, Baran, Bundi
Production trend and Stock position:
- Area sown until February 27, 2019 was 1,866 hectares down by 72.78 percent in Andhra Pradesh for this Rabi season compared to 1,080 hectares in the corresponding period last year.
- There is an expectation of a decline in production of coriander seeds this year as harvest is nearing its final stages in most chief producing states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- As per Agriwatch website, the crop in Gujarat is expected to be less this year due to insufficient rain which forced many farmers to shift to other lucrative crops.
Note: Prices of Coriander seed are currently in a Contango where the Futures prices are above the expected physical market Spot prices.
Market commentary: Price outlook
- Overall expectations of Coriander Seed prices to go up in the immediate/short term period.
- Market sentiments have been bullish in major markets like Kota, Gondal and Ramganj during this month.
- Physical Spot market prices which were at levels of Rs. 6,800 to 7,000 per quintal at Kota are expected to cross the Rs. 7,300 per quintal mark.