Sowing period: June to July
Harvesting period: December
Crop season: Kharif
Sowing period: October
Harvesting period: March
Crop season: Rabi
Key growing locations for Maize Kharif and Maize Rabi:
- Karnataka – Haveri, Shimoga, Davangere, Hassan, Chitradurga
- Andhra Pradesh – Kurnool, West Godavari
- Maharashtra – Nashik, Sangli, Jalgaon, Aurangabad, Buldhana, Jalana
- Madhya Pradesh – Chhindwara, Betul, Dhar, Khargone, Burhanpur, Badwani, Dindori
- Uttar Pradesh – Hardoi, Bahraich, Etah, Gonda, Kanpur, Farukhabad
- Bihar – Gulabbagh
Production trend and Stock position:
- According to Ministry of Agriculture, Maize has been sown in around 69.27 lakh hectares (lh) as on August 2, 2019 which is higher than 69.03 lh covered during the corresponding period last year and up by 0.35 percent.
- Maize crops are at sowing to vegetative stage. Pests and Diseases reported nil till date and reports of fall armyworm are below Economic Threshold Level (ETL) level in Mahboobnagar, Gadwal and Khammam districts as per Agriwatch website.
Prices of the Futures and physical market Spot prices of Maize Rabi are currently in tandem with each other.
Market commentary: Price outlook
- Prices of Maize in the physical markets are likely to trade steady to slightly firm in the immediate/short term.
- Overall physical market prices of Maize in major markets would trade from current levels of Rs. 2,200 to 2,300 per quintal to above 2,400 levels due to arrival pressure which has reduced and new crop would not come before the month of October.