Sowing period (Sugarcane): September to January
Harvesting period (Sugarcane): February to April
Crop season: Kharif
Key growing regions:
- Uttar Pradesh – Aligarh, Muzaffarnagar, Ghaziabad, Lakhimpur
- Maharashtra – Kolhapur, Pune, Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Nanded, Amaravati, Nagpur
- Karnataka – Belgaum, Bagalkot, Bijapur, Mandya, Mysore, Chamrajnagar, Bidar
- Tamil Nadu – Modak, Attur, Gullapuram, Sankarapuram, Arantangi
Production trend and Stock position:
- As per the Ministry of Agriculture second advance estimate released on February 24, 2021, Sugarcane production for FY 2020-21 was 3,976.57 lakh metric tonne (LMT) compared to FY 2019-20 which was 3,705 LMT, up by 7.33 percent.
- The Government had announced 17 LMT of monthly Sugar quota for February 2020-21
For the country as a whole, cumulative rainfall during this year’s winter season till February 24, 2021 is below Long Period Average (LPA) by 30 percent. Details of the rainfall distribution over the four broad geographical regions of India are given below:
Market commentary: Price outlook
- Sugar market prices are likely to trade weak to steady and within range in immediate / short term
- Fair and remunerative price (FRP) of Sugarcane for 2020-21 is ₹ 285 per quintal compared to ₹ 275 per quintal in 2019-20 which is up by 3.64 percent.