Sowing period: June to July
Harvesting period: November to February
Crop season: Kharif
Key growing locations for Tur:
- Maharashtra – Amarawati, Wardha, Vashim, Latur, Buldhana, Akola
- Telangana – Adilabad, Warangal, Karimnagar, Nalgonda
- Karnataka – Gulbarga, Raichur, Bidar, Bijapur
- Madhya Pradesh – Raisen, Sehore, Hoshangabad, Narsinghpur
- Gujarat – Junagarh, Rajkot, Dahod
- Uttar Pradesh – Kanpur, Hathras, Hardoi, Agra
Production trend and Stock position:
- As per the Ministry of Agriculture second advance estimate FY 2018-19 released on February 28, 2019, Tur production was 3.68 million MT (Mn MT) compared to FY 2017-18 which was 4.02 Mn MT, down 8.46 percent.
- Despite ongoing procurement drive and lower crop size, tur market trades under pressure due to weak demand and higher availability of old crop at lower level.