Sowing period: June to July
Harvesting period: December
Crop season: Kharif
Sowing period: October
Harvesting period: March
Crop season: Rabi
Key growing locations for Maize Kharif and Maize Rabi:
- Karnataka – Haveri, Shimoga, Davangere, Hassan, Chitradurga
- Andhra Pradesh – Kurnool, West Godavari
- Maharashtra – Nashik, Sangli, Jalgaon, Aurangabad, Buldhana, Jalana
- Madhya Pradesh – Chhindwara, Betul, Dhar, Khargone, Burhanpur, Badwani, Dindori
- Uttar Pradesh – Hardoi, Bahraich, Etah, Gonda, Kanpur, Farukhabad
- Bihar – Gulabbagh
Production trend and Stock position:
- According to Ministry of Agriculture, Maize has been sown in around 80.72 lakh hectares (lh) as on September 19, 2019 which was higher than 78.61 lh covered during the corresponding period last year and up by 2.68 percent.
- Maize sowing is almost completed as it is currently at tasseling to cob formation stage. Reports of Fall armyworm and Locust are below the Economic Threshold Level (ETL) level in Mahboobnagar, Gadwal and Khammam districts as per Agriwatch website.
Source: Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmers Welfare
Prices of Maize Khraif are currently in a Backwardation where the physical market Spot prices are higher than the expected Futures prices.
Prices of the Futures and physical market Spot prices of Maize Rabi are currently in tandem with each other.
Market commentary: Price outlook
- Prices of Maize in the physical markets are likely to trade steady to slightly weak in the immediate / short term.
- Overall physical market prices in major markets would trade from current levels of Rs. 2,100 to 2,500 per quintal to below 2,300 levels amid limited demand and expected new crop arrival.