Current Market Developments:
- Chana prices in domestic spot markets corrected as supplies in markets improved against steady demand. NAFED has started selling its procured stocks in spot markers which kept pressure on prices.
- However, market sources are expecting price to remain strong as festive season to start soon & by Diwali prices are likely to touch Rs. 6500-7000 per quintal in domestic markets.
- NAFED has started inviting bids from buyers for disposal of chana procured under the price support scheme in Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
- NAFED has procured around 23.5 lakh tonnes during the 2022-23 rabi marketing season. Along with the carry-forward stock of around 14 lakh tonnes from the previous season, total stocks stood at 37.5 lakh tonnes before the start of disposal.
- The domestic Chana production scenario has remained steady in the last two seasons. According to the Agriculture Ministry’s third advance estimates, Chana production during rabi season 2022-23 stood at 135.43 lakh tonnes as compared to 135.44 lakh tonnes during 2021-22.
- Bengal Gram (desi chana) imports have registered a decline of 58 percent during 2022-23 at 59,255.68 tonnes as compared to 140,486.23 tonnes in 2021-22. Imports during the current season (Apr-Jun 2023) stood at 823.80 tonnes as against 4891.41 tonnes. However, Kabuli Chana imports have significantly increased to 13,956.85 tonnes during April-June 2023 as against 814.50 tonnes in April-June 2022.
- As per market sources, steady imports are seen from Tanzania and prices have increased from $550 per quintal to $680 per quintal and are likely to be around $700 per quintal in coming days.
- Pulses acreage during the current Kharif season has declined due to erratic monsoon rainfall witnessed in the month of August in most of the Pulses growing regions. Prices of Tur, Moong and Urad have remained strong in spot markets. So, the overall impact of it could be seen on Chana also.
Gram (Chana) Price Trend Vs Seasonality at Key Markets
Gram (Chana) Area, Production and Yield
This report is prepared by “agribazaar”. Information and opinions in this report have been taken from publicly available data and from sources believed to be reliable. Neither the report nor any part of the report shall be replicated without the written consent. agribazaar does not make any representations or warranties in relation to the accuracy, completeness and correctness of data or information contained in this report. Use of the data, information or opinions contained in this report is at the sole risk of the recipient of this report, and any such data, information or opinion should be independently verified. agribazaar, its affiliates, their officers, directors, and employees shall not be responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any error in the data, information or opinion contained in this report.