Current Market Developments:
- Sesame seed prices in last three weeks have continue to remain firm in spot markets as good demand for the new summer crop witnessed from traders and mills. Export demand was also seen in markets. Apart from Chinese buyers, good demand was also seen from Iran. Overall firmness in oilseeds have also kept firmness in prices.
- As per market sources, good quantity of sesame seed import tender is expected from South Korea by June end. Chinese buyers are moving towards India as Mozambique and Tanzania crop is likely to get delayed. Normally, the new crop arrives during May-June in both the country.
- In the International markets, Indian sesame seed prices are quoted lower than Tanzania and Mozambique. Tanzania sesame seed quoted around 1,500 dollars per tonne and Mozambique sesame seed quoted around 1,600 dollars per tonne as compared to Indian sesame seed of around 1,450 dollar per tonne.
- As per the 03rd advance crop estimates by Ministry of Agriculture, Sesamum production is estimated higher by 5 percent at 8.57 lakh tonnes as compared to 8.17 lakh tonnes harvested during 2020-21. Indian Oilseed and Produce Export Promotion Council (IOPEPC) has estimated around 1.32 lakh tonnes of crop in Gujarat. Market sources are also expecting the sesame seed (red brown variety) crop from West Bengal to be around 1.50 lakh tonnes.
- The current Kharif season Sesamum acreage is likely to be higher as IMD forecasted normal monsoon rainfall and also Government declared 7 percent increase in MSP for 2022-23 marketing season at Rs 7,830 per quintal as compared to Rs 7,307 per quintal during 2020-21.
Sesamum Seed Price Trend Vs Seasonality at Key Markets
Sesamum: Area, Production and Yield: India & Major States
This report is prepared by “agribazaar”. Information and opinions in this report have been taken from publicly available data and from sources believed to be reliable. Neither the report nor any part of the report shall be replicated without the written consent. agribazaar does not make any representations or warranties in relation to the accuracy, completeness and correctness of data or information contained in this report. Use of the data, information or opinions contained in this report is at the sole risk of the recipient of this report, and any such data, information or opinion should be independently verified. agribazaar, its affiliates, their officers, directors and employees shall not be responsible for any loss or damage that may arise to any person from any error in the data, information or opinion contained in this report.