Sowing period: June to July
Harvesting period: December
Crop season: Kharif
Sowing period: October
Harvesting period: March
Crop season: Rabi
Key growing locations for Maize Kharif and Maize Rabi:
- Karnataka – Haveri, Shimoga, Davangere, Hassan, Chitradurga
- Andhra Pradesh – Kurnool, West Godavari
- Maharashtra – Nashik, Sangli, Jalgaon, Aurangabad, Buldhana, Jalana
- Madhya Pradesh – Chhindwara, Betul, Dhar, Khargone, Burhanpur, Badwani, Dindori
- Uttar Pradesh – Hardoi, Bahraich, Etah, Gonda, Kanpur, Farukhabad
- Bihar – Gulabbagh
Production trend and Stock position:
- According to Ministry of Agriculture, Maize has been sown in around 16.98 lakh hectares (lh) as on January 31, 2020 which was higher than 14.78 lh covered during corresponding period last year and up by 14.88 percent.
Source: Department of Agriculture cooperation & Farmers Welfare
Prices of Maize Kharif are currently in a Contango where the Futures prices are higher than the expected physical market Spot prices.
Market commentary: Price outlook
- Prices of Maize in the physical markets are likely to trade steady to slightly weak in the immediate / short term.
- Overall physical market prices of Maize in major markets would trade from current levels of Rs. 1,900 to 2,200 per quintal to below 2,000 levels amid limited demand and expected new crop arrival.